|Frequently Asked Questions about wistful.net
- What does Wistful mean?
- From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) (web1913) :
From WordNet (r) 1.6 (wn) :
- Longing; wishful; desirous. ("Lifting up one of my sashes, I cast many a wistful, melancholy look towards the sea." --Swift.)
- Full of thought; eagerly attentive; meditative; musing; pensive; contemplative. ("That he who there at such an hour hath been, will wistful linger on that hallowed spot." --Byron.)
To look up other words, try Dictionary.Reference.com.
I don't see any poems here. Doesn't it make sense that there should be
poems and other things like that here?
- Full of longing or unfulfilled desire; [syn:
yearning] ("Those wistful little ads that the
lovelorn place in the classifieds.")
- Showing pensive sadness; [syn: pensive] ("The
sensitive and wistful response of a poet to the
gentler phases of beauty.")
Why did you pick this domain name?
- Actually, yes, it does make sense. But I haven't put any up and
I don't feel like doing so. If you have something you want to have
posted here, then .
- No one has said, "Hey, can you put some of my stuff up or link
to it?" If you have stuff you want linked to, visit the
What is this place hosted on?
Can I get some web space here?
- Honestly, it was the first available one that I liked at the time. That and I seem to view the world wistfully at times. *sigh*
- "It seemed like a good idea at the time..."
Can I get an email address here, or mail forwarding?
- Not at this time. Probably not ever. Sorry. If I know you, or you have something great to contribute, that is a different matter and you may feel free to email me if you'd like. Currently we do host a few sites, most of which are my own, but one of them is a friends site.
- I try to maintain as secure a site as possible, and while I know there are and always will be holes, I don't want to open my system up to the mess that would surely ensue. It wouldn't be prudent.
- Web pages would be a trickier problem. Allow FTP? No. Use FrontPage extentions? Gag me with a ginsu. SCP? Great idea, but so few know how to use it.
- "Hey! I could use FrontPage Extentions and you wouldn't need FTP!" Uhh, go away.
Is anything here copyrighted?
- For email, you'd be limited to a small amount of space and a web interface. Which is fine for some people, but not all. I try to only use the web interface when I travel.
- Mail forwarding would use up some of the bandwidth and storage for a period of time, neither of which are free (sadly), and I haven't made a single dime from any of the banners (swear to god I haven't, but I keep them just in case I need them myself).
- And in any case, it costs me money to run this, so it wouldn't be a free service. Bummer deal, man.
What about links? Can I link to you, will you link to me?
- Simply put, yes, everything here is copyrighted wether noted or not on any page. Anything created becomes copyrighted by the creator (or by the entity that contracted the creator for the work) upon creation.
- This applies to images of any kind, the site layout, and any texts contained within. Some works may not be owned or copyrighted by the site owners or a user thereof. In such cases, the copyright belongs to whomever owns such works.
- Additionally, you are not permitted to mirror the site or any content within in any way without permission from the operator of this site and/or the owners of any content contained within this site, it's sub-hosts, or any subdomains.
I tried sending email to someone at your domain, but I got a weird error message from your server?
- We do have a links section which contains other sites we like and/or feel you might like also.
- If you want to link to us, or any users page within this site or any subdomains, please get permission to do so first. Linking directly to Wistful.net's top level index is cool without first asking, but for anything below there (users pages, other hosts, subdomains, etc.) we request that you ask first.
- Please also be advised that "hot linking" to images or mirroring content here is strictly forbidden under any circumstances.
- If you'd like us to link to you, just send us an email asking us to do so with a URL.
- You probably were denied by one of our anti-spam measures.
- Please visit our SPAM policies page for more information.