|Links to Other Places
- Dictionary.com - This is another dictionary site that also has a thesaurus feature.
- TextFiles - A massive resource for "old school" or "classical" t-files plus some recent ones. This is a window into the history of text files of yesterday. If you don't know what I mean by t-file, text file, etc., or you want to view the past of modeming, then check this out! I wish I had done something like this when I thought about it in the past. When I read things from here, I get nostalgic (awww!) and start to feel old. Crimeny!
- Slashdot - "News for Nerds. Stuff that matters." Too bad they advocate Linux more than anything instead of remaining neutral, and can't seem to keep the site up for more than five minutes at a time... but it does have some "stuff that matters."
- The Register is a news site from the UK.
- CONvergence is a SciFi / Fantasy convertion held every year in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- DefCON is an annual hacker/security conference held in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Unix / Windows / etc.
- FreeBSD is a
free, kick-ass BSD operating system.
- Postfix -
Postfix is a kick-ass SMTP daemon that beats the hell out of Sendmail for
speed and ease of configuration.
- KMFMS - This
site exists to show you why Microsoft is Bad(tm) and what alternatives exist
for those willing to try something other than Windows. There's a bit of a
Linux slant to the whole site (which sucks), but it does have a bit of
advocacy to other OS's such as BeOS, BSD, and OS/X which is fairly cool.
- Red Hat Linux
is one of the most popular Linux distributions.
- SuSE Linux is
another linux distribution which is pretty nice.
OS/X runs on the Macintosh computers and has BSD as the underlying core
of the OS.
- Anti-Spyware / Anti-Popups / Anti-Virus
- Spybot - Search & Destroy
- Privoxy -
Privoxy is a web proxy with advanced filtering capabilities for protecting
privacy, modifying web page content, managing cookies, controlling access,
and removing ads, banners, pop-ups and other obnoxious Internet junk.
- ClamWin -
Free anti-virus for Windows 98/2000/XP. Please note that ClamWin Free
Antivirus does not include an on-access real-time scanner. You need to
manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware.
- Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection
for your home Windows PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other
malicious software. Absolutely better than nothing and it is free.
- Spam related links
If you find or have any links that you think may be of interest to me or
vistors of the site,
. If I like it or find it of value, I'll
add it fairly quickly.